Scholarship applications need to be filed online using the links below
The American Academy of Bookbinding is pleased to provide scholarship opportunities to students based on need and merit for the courses they are applying for. These tuition assistance scholarships are awarded to both new students and returning students. Successful applicants represent a broad range of students who demonstrate financial need and/or merit in their work. Open Scholarship amounts awarded are $400 to $1000, depending on course registration. Each course is allotted a limited number of recipients.
Please note: You must register for the course/s you wish to take before your Scholarship Application form is reviewed.
Open Scholarship application deadline.
Applications due – March 1
Notification of awards will be made on – March 15
After that date and depending on available funds, students are welcome to apply for scholarships if funds are still available.
For applications, you must submit the following by March 1
- Personal statement concerning interest in bookbinding or related field.
- Current resume
- Statement of financial need if necessary.
- Photos of recent work, if available.
- Titles of courses for which they wish to apply, ranked 1-5. (1 being your top choice)
A copy of the most recent tax return (first two pages only) may be required for need-based scholarships. All decisions will be final.
Once scholarships are awarded, before funds can be released, students are expected to complete an acceptance form that will be sent to them.
The AAB Fine Binding Scholarship
Learning and developing skills in fine bookbinding is a challenging pursuit for the serious student, requiring years of study and hours of dedicated hands-on work. The American Academy Fine Binding Scholarship was created by Myssie & Barry Acomb in 2013 to assist one individual per year who has shown initiative and is committed to the long-term development of their skills to reach a professional level and contribute to the larger bookbinding community. The scholarship is based on merit and is intended to create an opportunity for a student to attend AAB courses in Telluride.
The Fine Binding Scholarship is a $3000 award for tuition and housing fees at the American Academy of Bookbinding in Telluride. The award is flexible in that the recipient can apply funds solely towards tuition or tuition with a limited component for housing. In addition, the successful candidate will receive a $300 allowance for materials purchased at AAB.
- Funds must be used for coursework at AAB and AAB housing in Telluride.
- The recipient may apply funds to single or multiple courses in succession. Funds may also be distributed for course work throughout the year they are granted, but they must be used in the year they are awarded.
- Greater than 65 percent of the funds must be applied towards tuition.
- Fine Binding students may apply. Diploma aspirant preferred, but not required.
- The applicant must be a pre-existing or current AAB student.
- Funds are not transferable to another year or another student.
- Only one recipient will be chosen per year.
- A recipient may apply and be awarded the scholarship in subsequent years.
AAB Fine Binding Scholarship Application Procedure:
Deadline: Applicants must submit the following by – March 1, 2023
Decisions will be made by March 15, 2023
Please submit the following
- A one-page written statement and/or a 10-minute video about your interest and experience in fine binding, why you feel you deserve the award, and a statement addressing your long-term goals.
- Five photos of three different recent bindings.
- Complete an acceptance form and donor thank you letter before funds can be released.