OPEN•SET COMPETITION 2017
The OPEN • SET competition is a NEW triennial competition that formed in response to the burgeoning interest and palpable momentum in finely crafted design book bindings in the United States. Sponsored in part by the American Academy of Bookbinding, it is designed to encourage both new binders and professionals. OPEN • SET offers prizes and acknowledgement in two categories: Participants may choose to bind the SET book or a book of their choice, the OPEN category. Entries are limited to one book per category. Binders from all levels and cultures are invited to participate, as the competition is not limited to citizens of the United States nor to students or affiliates of the AAB. All entries will be reviewed by a blind jury of three professional binders. The three-member jury for the competition is: Eleanore Ramsey, David Esslemont, and Cathy Adelman. To read their bios click here.
Registration is now closed.
2017 Exhibition venues!
- Denver – Denver Public Library – January 5 – 28
- San Francisco – San Francisco Center for the Book – February 1 – March 4
- Iowa City – University of Iowa – March 8 – April 19
- Telluride – Ah Haa School for the Arts – April 24 – May 20
- Boston – North Bennett Street School – June 8 – July 14
- Austin* – Austin Public Library – July 26 – August 26
- Seattle – Seattle Public Library – September 8 – October 28
- Salt Lake City – University of Utah – November 10 – January 19
*We regret due to circumstances beyond our control, we need to cancel the Austin venue. We plan for Austin to be a major venue in 2020.
Click on thumbnails below to view. Full online exhibition available soon.
First place: MARK ESSER
Second place: SOFÍA MENDIZABÁL
Third place: ZIGOR ANGUIANO CALZADA
Highly Commendable: Titling: Jan Camps
Highly Commendable: Onlay & Inlay: Coleen Curry
Highly Commendable: Endbands: Sol Rébora
Highly Commendable: Unusual Materials: Sialia Rieke
Highly Commendable: Design: Dominic Riley
Highly Commendable: Unique Structure: Luke Hornus
First place: SOL RÉBORA
Second place: PATRICIA OWEN
Third place: BENJAMIN ELBEL
Highly Commendable: Tooling: Samuel Feinstein
Highly Commendable: Onlay & Inlay: Susan Hulme
Highly Commendable: Use of Materials: Adelene Koh